« Home | Halifax drivers » | Coming soon! » | Like beer? » | Feist Club » | see any spiders at the grocery store? » | Snow » | Halifax likes to drink » | Willie is coming! » | The Christmas Tree debacle » | Sport Nova Scotia » 

Monday, April 10, 2006 

Halifax transit


 


Halifax Transit


 


So it has been six months now living in the city and for the most part I have had success riding the bus to work. I have heard that I have been lucky with a route that is pretty good for being on time. Most people cringe at the thought of taking the bus here and it is certainly a car kind of town. Maybe I was spoiled in Toronto with the TTC and how often it ran and how little wait time there was.


 


In recent weeks my luck has been running out and two recent incidents has me dreaming of driving days ahead. The most recent one was Saturday night at the end of my shift at work. The one bus that goes out to where I work runs every 30 minutes but on weekends it is up to an hour. So I am very careful to always be early at the stop and I am always calling the phone service that tells you when the bus will be at your stop. For months I have been doing this and have the thing down to a science.


 


So on Saturday night I leave work am out to the street at 9:05pm with the bus usually rolling by anywhere from 9:12-9:17. I wait and wait and wait and wonder if it is running late or what. I won't bore you with details but I ended up waiting for an hour until 10:12pm. At this time the bus pulls up and I get on.


 


I ask the driver if he was the same driver all night and if there was any problems with the route tonight. He says no and I said well no bus came last hour as I was there waiting. He told me I was wrong and said there was nothing he could do. That really helped my mood for him to say I was wrong and had not been waiting. Clearly he was too busy chatting it up with the weird lady in the front seat to even follow the times of the route and came way early.


 


This was confirmed to me as every stop on the route home had an hours worth of grumpy people waiting. I know it is not the end of the world but when you have just worked a 12 hour shift and you just want to get home cause you have to get up and do it all over the next day, wasting an hour is a big deal.


 


So I wrote down the time, route# and bus #. I emailed the Halifax transit and they emailed back that they would look into it. I highly doubt anything will be done but it was the thing to do to wash my hands of the whole pain in the ass incident.


 


Transit wants people to leave the car at home and help save the environment by taking transit. Well if schedules are made and there are detailed phone services telling people when the bus is coming, you have to follow it or people will find other ways to travel. Especially when you reduce service to once and hour to a large business area of town with a many stores and a movie theatre.


 


I for one cannot wait to get a car and never set foot on that bus again.


 


 

This is a very common problem in Halifax/Dartmouth. Before I broke down and bought a car, I had many issues with the transit. I understnad if a bus is 5-10 mins late but I have seen many routes skip a run due to falling behind on time.
Now I cringe at the thought of ever having to go back to them again. But my wife and I need to share the car and I am moving at the end of the month to an area to far to walk to work. I am hoping that they are able to get things under control soon but I doubt that will ever happen.
The thing I hate the most is that stupid automated phone system. I swear that thing only counts down to the time when the bus is scheduled. I called one day and it said that I had another 2 min wait. Close 30 mins but whose counting?

Nice writeup and best of luck

Bryan Henry
http://bryan-henry.blogspot.com

What a great site slots

The sad truth is that GO Time _is_ only counting down until the scheduled time. The bus tracking system hasn't worked for years since they started an overhaul of the system by an external company. That company went bankrupt, another company picked it up. They went bankrupt too. So, while back in the 80s GO Time was accurate to seconds, she now just tells you what any Go Time schedule book will tell you...

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm M-Fax
  • From Halfax, Nova Scotia, Canada
My profile

Links

Powered by Blogger

Personal Blog Top Sites

IP Address Location